what is cloud?
- xAAS, utility computing, etc
what kind of services does cloud provide?
- AWS, EC2(Elastic Compute Cloud), EBS (Elastic Container Service), S3(Simple Storage Service), simpleDB, key-value stores, etc
- cloud platforms (in data center)
- scale, reliability, performance, concurrency, consistency, security, availability, etc.
- speed of light, unreliable machines, etc.
what could we do?
- concurrency control, weak consistency, locking, replication, etc.
- programming: MapReduce programming model, Hadoop, etc.
- data processing: Cloud file system, HDFS (Hadoop Distributed File System), replication
What should I care?
- what’s underneath the cloud?
- how does it works? strength? weakness?
- how to build something that is so scalable and robust?
- changes of the underlying network infrastructure?
- challenges in security and privacy?
Models and algorithms are valuable